From un-boxing the latest gadgets to video game "Lets Plays", walk-throughs and reviews YouTube boasts a plethora of geeky content. To follow up their Comedy Week, and pay tribute to the half of the top 20 popular channels that are geeky in nature, YouTube will be featuring Geek Week. The Nerdist and Channel Flip have allied with YouTube to showcase over 100 channels from some of the most popular geeky YouTube creators.
Geek Week will run August 4th through August 10th and feature over 100 of the most popular geeky channels. Featured hosts will include Felicia Day's Geek and Sundry, FreddieW, Machinima, and Stan Lee's World of Heros.
The week's festivities will include new content from featured channel partner creators, the premier of the Thor: The Dark World trailer, Easter eggs (like this), collectable badges and much more! The themes for each day are as follows:
- Blockbuster Sunday: A celebration of the iconic characters, movies and shows that define geek culture--plus a spotlight on the best original YouTube sci-fi, fantasy and animation. Hosted by FreddieW in the U.S., with new content from Tomska in the U.K.
- Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic book heroes from Delhi, and a celebration of "Doctor Who." Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF in the U.S., and including a special new episode of the British cult children's TV show “Knightmare.”
- Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world's biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect in the U.S., with an epic stunt from Head Squeeze and Flow from the U.K.
- Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life superpowers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for Marvel's “Thor: The Dark World.” Hosted by Stan Lee’s World of Heroes in the U.S., and you won’t believe what Fast Furious & Funny have done with an old Nissan in the U.K.
- Gaming Thursday: A gamers’ paradise, with live play-throughs, video games in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios' Polaris in the U.S., with a Guinness World Records gaming attempt live stream from the U.K.
- Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube's biggest fans take center stage. Hosted by Felicia Day of Geek & Sundry in the U.S., with an ultimate geeky quiz by Crabstickz from the U.K. (source)
Follow the event with the hashtag #GeekWeek om Twitter for more Easter egg goodness and the latest news on the event.
Are you looking forward to Geek Week? Share your thoughts on Geek Week and YouTube's themed week promotions in the comments.